Join The Daily Line Team
City Hall and Cook County Reporter
If you have a passion for tracking and communicating about the inner-workings of local government and politics, then an opening at The Daily Line may be of interest to you.
We are looking for a reporter to join our team in our pursuit to cover policy and politics throughout the state. This person should have a keen understanding of Chicago, Cook County politics and government systems and must be able to produce daily original reports focusing on the people and processes that facilitate local government.
Applicants must be attentive to emerging stories, digitally engaged, relentlessly curious and capable of communicating cleanly and concisely across print, digital, radio and social channels.
If this is you or someone you know, please review or share the job description.
Job Title: Reporter
This team member is responsible for the enterprising, development, and production of detailed and thoroughly reported daily news articles and newsletter content covering Illinois state government and politics for The Daily Line.
- Report and write original stories for weekday digital newsletter, website and social platforms.
- Support the creation of special reports, guides and other member exclusive content.
- Work with team members to workshop story ideas and push in directions other news outlets are not looking.
- Curate a network of sources to build a well of fresh and exclusive information.
- Represent The Daily Line on television, radio, and at public/private events and participate in occasional “Press Box” virtual panels.
- Produce one 30-40 minute interview podcast episode every six weeks.
- Participate in collaborations with other news organizations.
- Help in the development news partnerships.
- Proficient in AP Style.
- Keen news judgment for consequential and underreported stories in state policy or politics.
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills.
- 2+ years experience covering government with a recognized media outlet that publishes daily.
- Proven ability to enterprise stories illuminating complex issues using FOIA, record-diving and other investigative techniques.
- Patience to sit through hours-long public meetings and pull out the most newsworthy takeaway
- Ability to meet daily 5 p.m. deadlines.
- Fervent interest in government and the legislative process
- Strong social media presence.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and benefits offered will be discussed during the interview process.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume, a brief statement of interest and links to work examples to [email protected]. Put “Reporter Job Application” in the subject line. If no links are available, feel free to include word or .pdfs of examples.
About The Daily Line:
The Daily Line (TDL) is an essential news resource for professionals across Illinois. Since 2007, we have reported on the contours of power in city, county and state government. Our detailed newsletters, published every weekday, provide an inside look at the actions taken by decision-makers that can only be gleaned by monitoring the committee meetings and commission hearings where the rigorous work of governing is done.
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||40,000 and 60,000|
See posting on JournalismJobs.com:
Do you like this page?